Hubby and I wanted to work on needles for the shop last night. I must admit, we got a bit side tracked by the idea of new materials for needles. We looked at acrylics and drooled over the pretty colors. Of course, we got sucked in to ordering a few blanks to try for fun. They won't be traditional or good for re-enactment. Sometimes though, it's just fun to make and use something different and pretty. I can't wait to try the cappuccino one with the brown and white swirls! It may be a while before they arrive, but we'll post when we get needles made from them.
Then we tinkered with the idea of using circuit boards. I was quite worried about the little metal wires and widgets on the sides of board catching on yarn. After quite a bit of sanding, we were able to get it really smooth on the sides. It tested quite well. I'll use this one for a while longer to make sure nothing comes off with wear.
History and geekery can now be one in nalbinding.
Update: There was a bit here on ROHS compliance. Hubby remembered it's not about human safety. So we'll be investigating.